Job Title: Director of Individual Philanthropy, West Coast
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reports to: Director of Leadership Giving
MSI United States (MSI US) promotes and supports the mission of MSI Reproductive Choices (MSI) to provide sexual and reproductive healthcare to millions of underserved women around the world. MSI US works to advance reproductive health and rights within this context and raises funds for the organization’s programs in countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. MSI is a global leader in providing these critical and empowering services, with over 17.3 million clients accessing a contraception, safe abortion, or post-abortion care service in 2021.
MSI’s has a bold vision: by 2030, no abortion will be unsafe and everyone who wants contraception will be able to access it. At this critical time for women’s reproductive rights and access to sexual and reproductive healthcare globally, MSI US is expanding its team of passionate fundraising professionals with the creation of this new position – Director of Individual Philanthropy, West Coast, based on the west coast. This role’s primary responsibility is to further MSI’s mission through helping to build a strong west coast base of high-net worth individual (HNWI) donors.
As the MSI US full-time Director of Individual Philanthropy, West Coast, you will be our “boots on the ground” in the region, working to deepen relationships with current donors and engage prospective new supporters.
Much of your time will be spent developing a robust pipeline of HNWI donors and qualified prospects to help meet the organization’s current fundraising goals and its ambitious aspirations for 2025 and beyond. Last year, the portfolio generated more than $1.9 million. We aspire for the region to increase to $5-10 million by 2025 and to a multiple of that by 2030.
The position is based in the west coast market and reports to the Director of Leadership Gifts, who is based in New York City. MSI US home offices are in Washington, DC.
• Work towards a collective 2022 fundraising target of $32 million, which includes the individual philanthropy target of $5 million in unrestricted funding
• Build and manage a major gifts portfolio of 120 HNWIs
• Develop, implement, and execute strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward current and prospective major donors on the West Coast
• Support the planning and execution of MSI US West Coast cultivation events in partnership with colleagues and fundraising consultants
• Prepare written materials, including donor correspondence and grant applications, proposals, and stewardship reports, as necessary
• Participate in MSI US bi-weekly virtual team meetings and quarterly in-person team meetings in Washington, DC
Minimum of ten (10) years successful experience in major gift fundraising, including identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts of $10,000 and above from HNWIs, preferably for a non-profit engaged in international issues.
• Experience with, and excited by the challenge of, building a major donor program
• Successful at creating and executing cultivation and solicitation strategies to engage new HNWI supporters and increase giving from current major donors
• Ability to understand the interests and motivations of donors and develop meaningful connections between the donor and the organization
• Equally comfortable making five-to-seven figure asks
• Sound judgment, tactful and the ability to handle highly confidential information
• Self-starter and team player, possessing the ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written
• Strong commitment to results, and excellent attention to detail, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills
• Experience using a donor tracking system/database to advance fundraising goals, and the capacity and willingness to learn new systems
• Ability to manage multiple tasks at a time
• Willingness and ability to travel
• Bachelor’s degree
MSI exists to empower women and men to have children by choice, not chance. We are pro-choice and
believe it is a woman’s right to choose if, when, and how many children to have. Qualified candidates for this position will unwaveringly support and embrace our belief and mission. Our dedicated professionals are enthusiastic, empathetic and positive. They thrive in an atmosphere of dynamic challenges in their work, are personally motivated to succeed, and enjoy being part of a global team working to make a difference in women’s lives around the world. Confident, resourceful, and action-oriented, our people are focused on delivering high-impact programs in collaboration with our donors to ensure our clients around the world receive the highest quality of services.
MSI US is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and employee benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave, paid medical and maternity leave, employer paid medical benefits, and 403(b) retirement plan contribution. We support a work-life balance and an individual’s desire to learn beyond the experience gained at work through both personal and professional development and growth opportunities. MSI US recognizes that it is essential to provide equal opportunities to all persons without discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruiting new team members. We are committed to act fairly and prevent discrimination on the basis of sex, race, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, beliefs or any other irrelevant factor.
Please send your resume along with a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line:
HR: Director of Individual Philanthropy, West Coast – (insert your name).
For more information about MSI United States, please visit our website at www.msiunitedstates.org